LIST AIRCRAFT BY:

FORUMS:

ADVERTISING:

SERVICES:

AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

Welcome to Aviation Forum Sign in | Join | Help
in Search  

Questions about carrier landings

Last post 08-01-2011, 12:48 AM by bauer5152. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  03-02-2011, 5:58 PM 10183

Questions about carrier landings

I'm just wondering about communication between control tower / LSO / pilot on a carrier approach landing.  I have no idea of this process and just looking to gain some insight.  I'm playing a flight sim type game and when lining up on glideslope for a carrier landing the CV Marshall says "Mother is case 1, expect CV-1 approach."  I think I have a basic idea of how glideslope / meatball works but not totally sure.  I'm wondering what this lingo means.

The pilot eventually responds something like "One zero seven, approach final bearing 174, flying two niner zero"  (approximately)  I would like to know the details behind what instruments they are reading and relaying to the people on deck.  I think I've heard that they give final bearing  (direction I guess) and then how much fuel and then they 'call the ball' signaling they see the meatball and are on course.  What is an example of what a pilot would say when coming in for landing and what it means?  thanks in advance
  •  03-03-2011, 2:44 PM 10186 in reply to 10183

Re: Questions about carrier landings

Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum.  Should have posted under military aviation.  I don't see a way to delete a post so guess I'll just have to re-post it.
  •  08-01-2011, 12:48 AM 10573 in reply to 10183

Re: Questions about carrier landings

robmil5220:
    I'm just wondering about communication between control tower / LSO / pilot on a carrier approach landing.  I have no idea of this process and just looking to gain some insight.  I'm playing a flight sim type game and when lining up on glideslope for a carrier landing the CV Marshall says "Mother is case 1, expect CV-1 approach."  I think I have a basic idea of how glideslope / meatball works but not totally sure.  I'm wondering what this lingo means.

The pilot eventually responds something like "One zero seven, approach final bearing 174, flying two niner zero"  (approximately)  I would like to know the details behind what instruments they are reading and relaying to the people on deck.  I think I've heard that they give final bearing  (direction I guess) and then how much fuel and then they 'call the ball' signaling they see the meatball and are on course.  What is an example of what a pilot would say when coming in for landing and what it means?  thanks in advance

Thanks you for the post.
View as RSS news feed in XML
Aircraft Wanted Engines and parts Avionics Employment Partnerships

Advanced Search
New Listings
Forums
Login
Services
Contact
Home

©Copyright 2004 Aircraftbargains All Rights Reserved
For more information feel free to Contact Us